Eddy & I @ the airport, while waiting for our flight.
Retreat was generally good, though I think it would have been better if I was more prepared, both mentally and physically. I was totally exhausted just before the retreat started due to all the microscopic work in Marine Lab and my cousin's wedding just the day before the retreat. By then I was already half a walking zombie (but probably wun look like one since I had make up on for the wedding...). I was already giddy with exhaustion even before I set off for the retreat.
Retreat was generally good, though I think it would have been better if I was more prepared, both mentally and physically. I was totally exhausted just before the retreat started due to all the microscopic work in Marine Lab and my cousin's wedding just the day before the retreat. By then I was already half a walking zombie (but probably wun look like one since I had make up on for the wedding...). I was already giddy with exhaustion even before I set off for the retreat.My luggage was packed only a few hours before leaving house for the airport. As a result, I left out my toothbrush and toothpaste (luckily I managed to get them from the convenient store @ Kuching airport, else I'll end up not brushing teeth for 8 days.. haha!!), my pimple cream (which explain the state of my forehead now), medicated oil ( & i just had to bear with the mozzie bites without any creams or oil)
Day 14/12
Our flight was delayed by an hour (it's airasia, what's new) and we reached Kuching @ 11pm. Felt really bad to keep the dhamma workers who came to fetch us waiting, and they probably had to work the next day. Eddy and I went onto different cars since our 2 temples are 35min drive from each other. Even though it was very late and I have never met these people before, somehow I felt at ease with them.
Reached the meditation center 20min to midnight and it was already lights out since 930pm. An old Taiwanese yogi kindly opened the door, shifted the mattress, spread bedsheet for me, and showed me the way to toilet, which is a separate building outside the dorm. She also asked if i dared to stay out alone to wash up, otherwise she will stay with me. That very instance, I felt the grandmotherly love from her and she somehow reminded me of the old lady in Howl's Moving Castle, except that she has a very strong Taiwanese accent.
I was a bit shocked actually as I dunno how I had the impression that the place will be well-facilitated and modern. In actual fact, the toilets and sleeping area were just like the Ubin chalet ( the kampong house near the Ubin Jetty)
Our flight was delayed by an hour (it's airasia, what's new) and we reached Kuching @ 11pm. Felt really bad to keep the dhamma workers who came to fetch us waiting, and they probably had to work the next day. Eddy and I went onto different cars since our 2 temples are 35min drive from each other. Even though it was very late and I have never met these people before, somehow I felt at ease with them.
Reached the meditation center 20min to midnight and it was already lights out since 930pm. An old Taiwanese yogi kindly opened the door, shifted the mattress, spread bedsheet for me, and showed me the way to toilet, which is a separate building outside the dorm. She also asked if i dared to stay out alone to wash up, otherwise she will stay with me. That very instance, I felt the grandmotherly love from her and she somehow reminded me of the old lady in Howl's Moving Castle, except that she has a very strong Taiwanese accent.
I was a bit shocked actually as I dunno how I had the impression that the place will be well-facilitated and modern. In actual fact, the toilets and sleeping area were just like the Ubin chalet ( the kampong house near the Ubin Jetty)
Day 15/12
Missed the first sitting and morning puja, woke up just before breakfast. Giddy from over exhaustion from the past week and could only sit for 15min (although each sitting is 90min) and after which I head back to sleep. Basically I slept the whole morning and afternoon away. When I received a notebook for my interview with Bhante (our meditation teacher), who will be coming at 5pm that day, I started getting worried coz I haven't really had a real sitting and I have nothing to report to Bhante. My worries were proven to be unnessary as he was very understanding and told me to rest well.
The rest of the retreat...
Spent the next few days trying to settle the mind down, after all the chaos from exams, work, Mayday 's songs...In fact every now and then mayday's songs will start playing on my mind and was terribly amused when I couldnt get 夜访吸血鬼 off my mind. During the last few days, finally nursed myself back to good enough condition to meditate and was getting used to the routine of waking up at 5am and sleeping by 930pm, the routine of sitting and walking meditation and the peace, quietness and simplicity of life. However, the unsettled exchange matters continue to bug me at the back of my mind and I know they will continue to bug me until I return to Sg to settle them. And since it's a short retreat, I decided not to set any goals for myself, unlike the previous 2 retreats, and I enjoyed each sitting be it good or bad. Bhante shared that that should be the right attitude towards meditation.
Though I didnt make much progress this retreat, it was still a rewarding experience. Made new dhamma friends, learn new things, and revised the meditation techniques... I think this blog post probably didnt do any justice to the retreat experience and words cannot describe fully the experiences during meditaion. Nothing supernatural, nothing very religious, in fact I think it's very science.
Ehi Passiko is the best phrase to describe it i guess. It means to experience, to try it out on your own. Listening to the experiences of others won't give you the full (or even half of the) picture. If anyone is INTERESTED to join me for my next retreat and experience it for yourself, feel free to bug me! =)
Photos of the (only) 2 places I've been to for the whole 8 days.
Layout of the center. Building on the left is our dorm, building on the right is the meditation hall. The two paths are covered with algae due to the rains.(It rains everyday, for as long as 10 plus hours each day. It's near forested area, thus the whole area is very moist, to the extent that the cover of notebooks and papers will soften and curl up and blankets never feel dry)
Sunset @ Kuching International Airport, just before I boarded the plane home.
No comments:
Post a Comment