Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What does it feel like to be homesick

I was alone on the plane from Brisbane back to Canberra (Roomie & WS flew by Qantas) and the Aussie sitting beside me & I decided to chat. After knowing that I'm from Singapore and studying in Australia, he sprung a question on me

" Are you homesick?"
I was a bit stunned. Was homesickness written all over my face? Or was it just a casual question?
" Homesick? Err... Yea I guess so, a little."

What does it feel like to be homesick? A bad depression such that you desperately want to fly home? Crying yourself to sleep every night? No interest in everything else that you see in the foreign land. I have no idea, that's probably what I define homesickness. .

I guess I'm only slightly homesick, just enough to make the heart fonder. There were a couple of mornings I woke up from dreams of friends and family back home, only to realise that they are all kilometers away from me & I'm alone in my room. Yea, there was a slight tinge of loneliness and sadness, but then the day has to begin and work has to be done & the feeling diluted as soon as it arised.

& when one of the biggest event ever was about to take place at home and the preparation work is in the process, I want to help yet there's nothing I can do. Painting of Bro's new home, sampling the wedding banquet dishes, photo shots, etc. I can only receive updates.

Although I seriously miss my hokkien mee ( the one I had few days before I flew at Lot 1 tasted horrible), & at times really felt tired doing laundry, settling everything by myself, I'm enjoying every experience at the same time. I'm 3/5 done with my exchange, 2 more months to go before I have to head back. 60 more days to experience the life of an exchange student, to walk in the bush, to feel nature, to see ecology come to life, to experience life from all sorts of angles- deep under the sea @ shark's depth or sky high @ the highest altitude a jet can go to.


Hoping that exam dates will be released soon so that I can plan the next 2 months.

My great travelling plans:
- Melb to find shan, prils & ws, to see the great ocean road
- Tasmania to do a short conservation project
- Uluru to see that piece of stone to determine if it's worth going to or it's just a big piece of stone
- back to Brisbane to volunteer @ Australia Zoo, hoping to have a chance to meet Terri & Bindi Irwin, though it will be awesome to meet Steve Irwin himself, but too bad I am 3 years late.
- Cairns to see Fraser Island, the Great Barrier Reef, Whitsunday if I still have time. To do a shark dive and sky dive
- Perth for a short retreat with ajarn Brahm
& back home for the fantastic Tioman module!

Not sure how many places I can go eventually, with the limits of savings and time, but definitely something to look forward to!

Urghs.. too hungry.. time to cook dinner!

No comments: